Kilcock Celtic FC

Founded 1970

Co. Kildare

SENIOR WOMEN'S REPORT: Kilcock Celtic FC 2-1 Leixlip United FC B

Download our mobile app to hear more about Kilcock Celtic FC.

See More

Kilcock took on Leixlip in our final EWFL - League 3 game on Monday evening. This was the return leg of last weeks game held in Leixlip, where Leixlip beat us 7 -1. The team was disappointed with the result and knew the game on Monday was going to be a tough one and were resolved to accounting for a better result.

Rachel Fagan (team captain) got the team off to a great start with a rousing speech before the game kicked off and it was obvious from the start that the team were going to do everything they could to get a result from this. We tightened up our midfield for the game and it resulted in less attaching runs from Leixlip on the night. Mary O’Meara showed great intent with a shot just over the Leixlip goals in the 5th minute of the game. The game flowed up and down the pitch, but sustained pressure from Kilcock resulted in Leona Pozgaj being taken down inside the Leixlip box, she slotted home the resulting penalty to put Kilcock ahead. In the 31st minute Leona had another shot saved by the Leixlip keeper. Laura Geoghegan (Kilcock goalkeeper) made a great save in the 34th minute. Hazel Fitzpatrick was unlucky to have a shot saved by the Leixlip keeper just before half time.

The second half kicked off with the same passion and pressure as the first half and both teams gave it their all. Laura made another great save in the 61st minute of the game, however after some sustained pressure, Leixlip scored in the 75th minute to bring the game level. Kilcock held out and Laura made another great save in the 85th minute of the game. Leona put the Celts ahead in the 88th minute of the game much to the joy of the team, coaches and supporters, with a great piece of individual work and skill. As there were a number of stoppages in the second half, the game went into injury time and Kilcock continued to pressurise the Leixlip defence. Mary O’Meara was very unlucky not to convert just before the final whistle.

This was a great comeback from the team despite two heavy defeats last week (we also played Rosemount Muleavy in the O’Neill cup last Wednesday) and really showed that teamwork, determination and passion pays off. Our midfield and central defence warrant a special mention, as they all worked their socks off on the night and the roll on and off of subs really helped. Best wishes to Leixlip in their final few games of the season and to players on both teams who picked up knocks on the night.

Our final placing in the league will not be determined until September as a number of teams have yet to complete their fixtures.

Kilcock play Glen Magic in the League 3 - Shield game on 23 August in Drogheda. Having to play 4 games in the space of two weeks (Monday’s and Wednesday’s) is a very big ask of the players – especially given many have young families and we greatly appreciate and acknowledge the teams spirt and dedication. Well done everyone.

Download ClubZap

Get live information for Club on the ClubZap App

App Store Google Play